An Interview with Atsushi Funahashi


Please could you elaborate, for us, on your history and growth as a cinephile.

I was a pure cinephile when I was in my teens and was watching as many movies I could. Usually in Japan it’s very hard to get into college so you have to study a lot. That’s why the high school forces you to quit sport- I was playing tennis since I was a kid- but the school forced me to quit and two years were spent in preparation of an entry into college. And I absolutely hated it, because it’s forbidden. A friend of mine encouraged me to come and watch films, and so I did. That one movie turned into a life long passion. But the movie that had a great impact on me was Samuel Fuller’s White Dog. I just had to spend time watching many Fuller films and it was cheap at around 600 Yen (around 6$). It is a reasonable cost for high school students.READ MORE


RELATED READING

DEEP IN THE VALLEY FILM REVIEW



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Satyajit Ray, 'What's wrong with Indian Films?

Postmodernism and Cinema

Narrative Style of Satyajit Ray- in context Godard, Eisenstein and others.